Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Bone Marrow and PET/CT Scans

Today I had the luxury of spending my day in medical office undergoing a series of tests.  Let's start with the morning...

My dad and I arrived at the Mission Hospital a little before 8 am and I reported to the Short Stay Unit.  After getting my vitals, I met my nurse, Ching, who took me to my room.  She prepared me for the procedure, which included a battery of health questions and the dreaded IV.  She attempted to start the IV in my forearm, but "couldn't get any blood to come out."  I honestly think I could start my own IV with the veins I have.  On attempt 2 she was successful.  The procedure, which started a little after 10, went off without a hitch and by noon I was headed home for some rest before my next appointment.

We left the house for Pacific Coast Imaging a little after 2 and arrived by 2:45.  It was a beautiful building (an article on the wall said it cost over $15 million to build) with a very relaxing waiting room.  Around 4:00 they took me back to start the imaging which started with a glucose injection, followed by waiting an hour for the radiating glucose to circulate throughout my body.  When the waiting was over, I was taken to an imaging room where I had PET and CT Scans performed.  The tests lasted about 45 or 50 minutes, all of which I had to remain completely still on an 18 inch wide table with my hands resting on my stomach.  I don't know how, but I made it through it.

When the scans were over I was finally allowed to eat again.  Because of the timing of everything, I was allowed to eat Wednesday night, but nothing after midnight.  We ate at The Old Spaghetti Factory in Newport Beach.  It was a good meal...a meal I had been waiting a long time for!

We meet with Dr. Nagasawa on Monday to go over all of the test results.  We should have more for you after that.

-bw

1 comment:

  1. I am praying for you, and thinking about you everyday Bryan. If you need ANYTHING please let us know. Lots of Love oxox

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete