Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Chemotherapy Treatment: Day 1

My primary care giver, Zoe. She turned 8 two weeks ago today!

Today was my first day of chemotherapy. Thank you for all of your cards, prayers, and positive thoughts. I felt each and everyone of you with me as I sat in the treatment chair for 4 hours today...and it really wasn't as bad as I had envisioned it to be.


I met with my oncologist before starting treatment and he said everything was looking good. I then went into the treatment room (a large room with 18 chairs in it) and met up with my nurse. She got me situated and patiently described the drugs she would be giving me throughout the next few hours.


If you get squeamish, skip the next paragraph.


I started with an IV drip of Benadryl, followed by an IV of anti-nausea meds and Saline solution to circulate the meds throughout my bloodstream. That was followed by a test of the chemo drugs to make sure I didn't have a reaction. After 20 minutes of no reaction, she pushed 3 of the 4 drugs over the next 45 minutes before starting the last drug, which was an IV drip that took an hour and a half to drain. She promised that next time I'll probably be there between two and a half and three hours.
I returned home after treatment, read some of the cards and letters and then laid down for a one hour nap. I could have slept longer, but I don't want to be up ALL night! I have gotten a second wind this evening, which was aided by Zoe coming over to visit. She'll be back tomorrow, and if I'm up for it, we might just have to go for a walk.
No puking yet...keep your fingers crossed!
-bw

No comments:

Post a Comment